Are you interested in creativity and design?
Do you think of yourself as an artist?
Do you want to make your career around art and design?
Then the graphic design is one of the best career options for you.
You can learn this skill through offline or online graphic designing courses.
What is Graphic Design?
Now the question is what is graphic design meaning?
According to Wikipedia –
“Graphic design is the process of visual communication and problem-solving through the use of typography, photography, iconography and illustration. The field is considered a subset of visual communication and communication design”
Reference – Wikipedia
Types of Graphic Design
Graphic design is used for various reasons let’s know the types of graphic design-
- Visual Identity graphic design (corporate design)
- Logo design
- Marketing and advertising graphic design
- Social media graphic design
- Web design
- Publication graphic design
- Packaging graphic design
- Motion graphic design
- Environmental graphic design
- Art and Illustration graphic design
- Book cover design
- Brochure Design
- Label Design
- 3D Graphic Designing
- Mobile App Design
- Game design
- Stationery Design
- Vehicle Wrap design
Why should you do a Graphic designing course?
Graphic design is an exciting and creative career. Here you can enjoy your passion in your regular life.
We are giving you 10 reasons to consider why you should learn graphic design.
1. Graphic designing is a mix of creativity and Technology-
Graphic design is a mix of creativity and technology. Technology makes the life of designers easy but cant produce creativity. so, here machines can’t replace a designer’s creative mind and this makes it a secure career.
2. Graphic Designers have a high demand-
Branding and marketing play a great role in today’s corporate world. For achieving branding and advertising needs all companies use various kinds of graphics. So, in today’s world graphic designers have high demands.
3. Get paid for being creative-
You will be paid for your creativity and skills. In this field, you will be able to showcase your creativity in every design.
4. Every design is unique-
Many people don’t like their job for repetitive work. But you will not get bored because Your every design will be unique.
5. Lots of Career option-
With the skill of graphic design, you have lots of career options in front of you. you can either do a job and earn a handsome salary or choose to freelance to become your own boss.
6. More visibility of your work-
Nowadays most people have access to the internet. You can publish your work in any media and your work will be visible to the entire world. As you will get more visibility so there are more chances to get recognized and hired from any part of the world.
7. Work with many industries-
Now all corporate companies, publication houses, industries all kinds of businesses need graphics. They need various business needs like branding, marketing, advertising, publishing, illustrated contents, etc..
So, graphic designers have the opportunity to work with various kinds of industries.
8. Face new challenges every day-
Your work will be interesting and challenging. Every day you will face new designing challenges. You will also get the opportunity to push your own limits.
9. Designing is fun and satisfactory-
Designing and showcasing your skills will be fun. You can satisfy your designing needs and get paid for it.
10. Flexibility of work
Many graphic designers get the flexibility of work. They can work at any time and from anywhere in the world. For them, geolocation and timing is not a boundary.
What graphic designers do?
Now you know What graphic design is? And why should you choose graphic design as a career? But we know the next question in your mind is what graphic designers do?
Graphic designers create a range of various things depending on the industry they work for. They create visual communication with the audience through their design.
They communicate ideas for a brand to inspire, inform, or captivate consumers through images, words, or graphics. They design infographics, advertisements, and many such things for visual communication.
Graphic design as a career-
So, you already know that graphic designers have a high demand. And they also have the opportunity to work with many industries.
They have the option of doing a job in a corporate company or doing freelancing. With a graphic design degree, you can choose various job opportunities.
Types of graphic design careers-
- Graphic designer
- Creative director
- User experience (UX) designer
- User interface (UI) designer
- Production artist
- Art director
- Marketing specialist
- Web Designer
Graphic designer salary
At this point, the most expected question is how much graphic designers earn?
According to Glassdoor average Graphic Designer Salaries in the United States is $ 45,677 / yr.
We are providing an average base salary of few companies
Apple- $ 73,401/yr
Gensler – $ 61,630/yr
Abercrombie & Fitch – $ 82,654/yr
NIKE – $ 74,810/yr
Now let’s discuss how much freelancers earn. According to Payscale Average Freelance Graphic Designer, Hourly Pay $29.30.
Reference – Payscale
Graphic design business ideas-
If you don’t want to work under anyone or want to be your own boss then don’t worry.
You can do freelancing and also start a new business. For your convenience, we are presenting some simple business ideas for you.
- Stickers & Signs design
- T-Shirt design
- Photo Editing
- Comic Book design
- Wrap Design
- Coloring Book Design
- sell your designs in Etsy
- Book cover design
- Become a Tutor
- Web design
- Logo design etc.
What is needed to become a graphic designer?
The next big question is what is graphic designing eligibility criteria? What is needed to become a graphic designer?
To become a graphic designer you need to have basic computer knowledge and drawing and sketching skills. You only need to have a creative mind and passion to design.
You can pursue offline or online graphic designing courses and become a graphic designer.
What education do you need to become a graphic designer?
Graphic design is a skill-based field, where skill is more important than formal education. So, education and the subject is not a bar. You can learn the course after school or college or at any stage of life.
You don’t need any particular educational qualification. You can come to this field from any stream and background. But it’s recommended finishing your schooling before you learn this professional course. You can do an online graphic designing course also and learn even while you are doing your formal education
How to learn Graphic Designing
Now the question is how to learn graphic design.
There are lots of online and offline courses available from many reputed institutes. You can pursue any of them to learn graphic design. There are short term courses along with long term courses.
There are also certificate courses, degree courses and Post-graduation courses in graphic design.
It doesn’t matter if you are a beginner, an intermediate level or want to learn pro skills. You will get courses for your every need.
Online Graphic Designing Courses
There are many courses available in various offline institutes and online platforms. You are a fresher or pro for all your needs you will find an appropriate course for yourself. You will find Graphic design for beginners, Graphic design for experts, etc. available in various online and offline platforms.
For your convenience, we are providing a list of 9 best online Graphic Designing Courses.
Skillshare is an online learning community that provides online courses in various fields. They are providing this Graphic design course by Lindsay Marsh.
Highlights of the course
- This course is step-by-step learning of Graphic Design.
- This program has 4 major parts -Class preview, Introduction to Graphic Design as a Professional, The Step-by-Step Process and Student Project.
- In this course, you will learn Design Theory, creation of in-demand design, etc.
- You will get resources and a guided plan of learning.
- You will learn about equipment, software, project guidance, etc.
- You will get 25 class projects in this course.
- You will get a supportive community here.
Skillshare is an online learning community that provides online courses in various fields. In this course of Graphic design, they are giving you an opportunity to learn from co-directors of the Graphic Design MFA Program of MICA Ellen Lupton and Jennifer Cole Phillips.
Highlights of the course
- In this course, you will learn 5 core principles of Graphic design – Symmetry & Asymmetry, Scale, Framing, Hierarchy and Grids.
- In this course, You will learn various skills like Visual storytelling, Fine art, visual art, etc.
- You will get lots of student projects.
- You will get downloadable resources to support your learning.
Linkedin Learning is a great platform for online courses. Linkedin brought you a learning path called ‘Become a Graphic Designer’ which is a series of courses.
Highlights of the course
- This is a series of 11 courses –What is Graphic design by Sean Adams, Graphic design careers: First Step by Cara St Hilaire, Introduction to Graphic Design by Tony Harmer, Graphic Design Foundations: Layout and Composition by Sean Adams, Graphic Design Foundations: Typography by Ina Saltz, Color for Design and Art by Jim Krause, InDesign Essential Training by David Blatner, Photoshop Essential Training: The Basics by Julieanne Kost, Illustrator Essential Training by Tony Harmer, Creative Collaboration by Denise Jacobs and Color Trends by Nicte Cuevas.
- After finishing all the courses you will get a badge of completion and certificate.
- In this course, you will learn all the core concepts and tools(software) of Graphic Design.
You will learn about typography, color, and layout.
- You will learn to explore beautiful ideas.
- You will get hands-on exercises in various software like InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.
- You will get 29 hours of content.
Shaw Academy is an online course hub. It brings a graphic design course which has lesions for beginners, intermediates and professionals.
Highlights of the course
- This course comes with 4 modules. Diploma, Intermediate, Advanced and Proficient.
- In diploma, you will learn Elements and Principles of Design, Logo designing, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Photo-manipulation, Movie poster design, Adobe InDesign, etc.
- In intermediate, you will learn Colour Theory and print terminology, Mood board creation, the anatomy of typography, basics of the pen tool, Magazine cover design, Advertisement design, Magazine creation, etc.
- In advance, you will learn Creative Thinking, Corporate Identity & Mockups, Interactive pdf & e-publication, Advanced Photo Manipulation, 3D Rotation & Design in Illustrator, Packaging Design, Designing for web & social media, Infographics, etc.
- In Proficient you will learn Branding & Packaging, advanced typography, Idea Generation & Development, etc.
- this course contains 32 video and 16 weeks course.
Coursera is one of the biggest online course platforms. Coursera brings this certificate course by Michael Worthington with CalArts.
Highlights of the Course
- In this course you will learn fundamental principles of graphic design, image-making, typography, composition, working with color and shape.
- In this course, you will do practical design exercises.
- After finishing the course you will have a fair idea about a range of image-making techniques; understand the basic principles of working with shape, color, and pattern; been exposed to the language and skills of typography.
- You will get about 15 hours of content.
Creativelive, one of the famous online course platforms, brings you this certification course by TIMOTHY SAMARA.
Highlights of the course
- In this course, you will learn Form and Image, Color Theory, Typography, layout and composition, etc.
- This course has 2 major parts – Introduction to Graphic Design and The Designer’s toolkit.
- This course has 18 videos and about 5 hours 30 minutes of course content.
- You will get access to course materials for a lifetime.
Kadenze collaborates with the world’s leading colleges, universities, and industry partners to provide the best online courses in various subjects and streams. Kadenze brings this course by MICA Faculties Brockett Horne and Ellen Lupton.
Highlights of the Course
- This is a combination of 2 courses. Introduction to Graphic Design History, Graphic Design Methods.
- In this course, you will learn an overview of graphic design history.
- In this course, you will learn about early printing, Art Nouveau, Constructivism, Dada, Bauhaus, and current design.
- In course 2 you will learn storytelling, authorship and ownership, systems and identities, multisensory design, principles of design thinking, behavior and interaction, etc.
The complete Graphic Design theory for Beginners’ course by Lindsay Marsh and Jeremy Deighan is one of the popular courses of Udemy.
Highlights of the course-
- In this course, you will learn graphic design theory, common graphic design practices and the thought process behind these principles.
- In this course, You will be given real-world, applicable projects.
- You will learn about the legal side of design, laws of copyright and trademarks.
- You will learn the Step-By-Step process of graphic design.
- You will also learn about past and current design trends.
- This course has 11 sections, 59 lectures and around 6 hours and 36 minutes of video content.
This course by Lindsay Marsh is one of the best selling courses of Udemy.
Highlights of the Course
- In this course you will learn typography, color theory, photos, layout, blocking and other design theories.
- You will also learn various graphic designing skills.
- You will learn to create logos, branding packages, etc.
- You will learn various tools like pen tool, shape builder tool, Adobe Illustrator, photoshop, affinity design, InDesign, etc.
- You will learn image editing, book cover, magazine layout, package design, etc.
- You will learn design trends, word mapping and brainstorming techniques.
- This course has 25 sections, 162 lectures and 19 hours 23 minutes content.
How to become a graphic designer without a degree?
Having a proper degree or course is a good way to start a career in the field of Graphic design. But you can do it without formal education also.
We already said that to become a graphic designer you need basic computer knowledge, drawing skills and a creative mind. you can teach yourself through lots of online free materials and start designing.
It is a field where skills are more important than formal education. So. you can be a graphic designer without a degree but we recommend you to pursue a course before you jump into the field.
Graphic Design Tools and references –
Now it’s time for you to know some tools and references of graphic design. So we are giving you a list of some essential resources.
Graphic design apps & software-
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Affinity Designer
- Adobe InDesign
- CorelDRAW Graphics Suite
- Xara Designer Pro X
- Design Wizard
- Infinite Design
- Adobe Comp
Graphic design blogs
- Adobe Creative Magazine
- Canva’s Design School
- AIGA Eye on Design
- High on Design
- Creative Bloq
- Site Point
- Inspiration Grid
- Creative Overflow
- Design Week
- Creative Boom
- Dropbox Design
- Creative Review
- Identity Designed
- The Dieline
Graphic design books
- Logo Modernism by Jens Müller and R. Roger Remington
- Grid systems in graphic design: A visual communication manual for graphic designers, typographers and three-dimensional designers by Josef Müller-Brockmann
- Non-Designer’s Design Book by Robin Williams
- Making and Breaking the Grid: A Layout Design Workshop by Timothy Samara
- How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul by Adrian Shaughnessy
- Interaction of Color by Josef Albers, Nicholas Fox Weber
- Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills by David Sherwin
- How to Use Graphic Design to Sell Things, Explain Things, Make Things Look Better, Make People Laugh, Make People Cry, and (Every Once in a While) Change the World by Michael Bierut
- 100 Ideas that Changed Graphic Design by Peter Fiell, Charlotte Fiell
- The Designer’s Dictionary of Colour by Sean Adams
- Elements of Graphic Design by Alex White
- The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst
- The History of Graphic Design. Vol. 2, 1960–Today –multilingual (Multilingual Edition)
by Jens Müller and Julius Wiedemann
- Graphic Design School: The Principles and Practice of Graphic Design by David Dabner, Sandra Stewart, et al.
- Graphic Design PlayBook: An Exploration of Visual Thinking (Logo, Typography, Website, Poster, Web, and Creative Design) by Sophie Cure and Barbara Saggio
World’s Most Famous Graphic Designers-
We are giving a few names of the most famous Graphic designers
- Chip Kidd
- Rob Janoff
- Peter Saville
- Massimo Vignelli
- Jonathan Barnbrook
- Carolyn Davidson
- Lindon Leader
- Marian Bantjes
- Susan Kare
- Paul Rand etc.
Famous graphic design companies-
We are giving a list of a few famous graphic design companies
- Frog DesignUrban Influence
So now you know what graphic design is all about, the types of graphic design, how you can explore the field, what are career options you have. So, hopefully, we clarified all your questions regarding graphic design and helped you to choose the perfect graphic design course for you.
Don’t hesitate to contact us if there is any query. We will try our best to solve your query.
Please let us know what you feel about the article in the comments. If you have any suggestions please write it down in the comments.
Thanks and regards